- 170g Self-Raising Wholemeal Flour
- 170g Plain Flour
- 290ml Buttermilk
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- Preheat the oven to 200c/gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper.
- Pour 170g of self-raising wholemeal flour into a large mixing bowl along with 170g of plain flour, ½ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda and stir the ingredients together.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in 290ml of buttermilk. Swiftly mix the ingredients together with a large wooden spoon to form a soft dough.
- Lightly flour a clean worktop surface and place the dough on top. Knead the dough for 3-4 minutes.
- Form the dough into a round dome and lightly flatten with the palm of your hand.
- Lightly flour the sheet of baking paper and place the dough on top.
- Cut a cross on top of the dough with a knife.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Cool the sofa bread on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve.